skip to Main Content

Eugene DUII Attorney FAQ

Have you or a loved one been charged with DUII in the state of Oregon? If the answer is yes your first step is to hire a qualified Eugene DUII attorney. The attorney you hire can be the difference from acquittal to conviction. At Veralrud and Fowler we have successfully defended countless clients charged with DUII and we would be honored to do so for you. Over the years we have been asked some of the same questions from varying clients. Below we have sought to answer these frequently asked questions.

What is the difference between DUI, DUII, OWI, and OVI?

These are all acronyms for drunk driving. Every state has their way of referring to intoxicated driving. Oregon uses DUII, or driving under the influence of intoxicants. Other states use acronyms such as DUI driving under the influence, DWI driving while intoxicated and OVI operating a vehicle under the influence. If you are facing a DUII charge hire a Eugene lawyer at Veralrud and Fowler today.

Is a DUII considered a criminal offense in Oregon?

Driving under the influence of intoxicants is a criminal offense in the state or Oregon. First and second DUII offenses are usually misdemeanors. However, a third offense with two previous convictions in the last 10 years is a felony offense. Whether it be your first offense or third it’s crucial that you hire a qualified Eugene DUII attorney at Veralrud and Fowler.

My license was suspended in Oregon when I was charged with DUI. Is it possible for me to receive a hardship permit?

Hardship permits allow a driver with a suspended license to drive to and from their place of work, to occupational training and education for work, to drug and alcohol treatment classes, to look for work, or to receive medical treatment for them or a loved one. The Eugene DUII attorney you hire will be able to help you file for a hardship permit. There are certain criteria that you must fit in order for you to qualify for a hardship permit.

In order to qualify for a hardship permit you must have had a valid Oregon’s driver’s license at the time of your suspension. If your license was from another state you will not be able to receive a hardship permit in Oregon. A hardship will not be available for those who have permanently had their license revoked after having three or more DUII convictions.

You will most likely be unable to receive the permit right away and will have to face time with a suspended license before being granted a hardship permit. The unique factors in your case and transportation needs will be taken into consideration when determining how long this period will be. At Veralrud and Fowler we highly recommend hiring the best Eugene DUII attorney to defend you when facing DUII charges.

What will happen if I’m pulled over when driving with a suspended license?

Driving with a suspended license or DWS can be a misdemeanor, felony or violation depending upon why your license was suspended in the first place. If your license was suspended for a DUII conviction driving while it is suspended will usually be considered a misdemeanor and can result in jail time, probation, and fines. You will face a fine of $1,000 or more. Your license suspension will not be extended but it will be seen as a violation of your probation and you will be required to pay the fines and face the consequences of probation violation. If you are being charged with DWS immediately hire a Eugene lawyer to defend you. At Veralrud and Fowler we would be honored to serve as your legal representation.

I have an excellent Oregon driving record; will that help me avoid a DUII charge?

Sadly, this will not help you avoid the consequences of a DUII. Taking your case to trial with the aid of a Eugene DUII attorney and winning is the only certain way of avoiding consequences when faced with a DUII. There is also the option of attending the DUII Diversion Program which can drastically lessen the consequences of your DUII charge. If you are facing a DUII charge it is highly recommended that you hire a Eugene lawyer to defend you.

Will I be able to have my DUII charge pled down in a plea bargain?

In many states it is possible to take a plea bargain and have your DUII changed to a lesser crime such as negligent driving, reckless driving, or reckless driving involving alcohol. However, Oregon does not allow for plea bargains to be made on DUII charges. If convicted of DUII you will face the full sentence for your conviction. Winning your case is the only way to avoid the full sentence of a DUII conviction. Hiring a qualified Eugene DUII attorney is a crucial in cases involving DUII.

What factors will the court take into account when determining the amount of jail time I will face for my DUII conviction?

There are several factors that are taken into account when determining the amount of jail time you will face after being convicted of a DUII.

  • Your driving record including any history of DUII
  • The level of your intoxication
  • If a car accident occurred
  • If the other driver was injured in the car accident
  • If there was a child or passenger in your car
  • If the judge believes that you have fully accepted responsibility for your actions.

These factors will all be taken into consideration by the judge when determining the extent of your jail time. If you have a previous history of DUIIs you will automatically face a longer stay in jail. Felony DUIIs can even result in prison time.

Hiring the best Eugene DUII attorney is the first step to take when facing these charges.

At Veralrud and Fowler we highly recommend consulting with a Eugene DUII attorney immediately after being charged with DUII. These charges can have dire consequences are best faced with qualified legal representation. We will provide you with a skilled and successful Eugene lawyer to handle your unique case. With our experience in DUII law there are none better qualified to serve as your legal representation. Refuse to face the legal system alone and call Veralrud and Fowler today.

Related Topics: DUII Laws – What to do if you’re stopped? – DUII Diversion Program

Give Us a Call at 541-345-3333 for a Free Consultation About Your Case or Send Us an Email Below

975 Oak Street, Suite 798

Eugene, OR 97401

Phone  (541) 345-3333
Fax  (541) 342-1908

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)


    Your Message

    Back To Top