skip to Main Content

I was hit by a car as a pedestrian in Eugene, Oregon…what should I do?

If you were hit by a car as a pedestrian, consider setting up a free consultation with a personal injury attorney in Eugene, Oregon.  The attorneys at Veralrud and Fowler are very experienced with these types of accidents, so they have put together some suggestions to help you navigate this difficult event.

If someone else’s negligence caused the accident, take steps to protect your health and financial interests.  If you haven’t done so already, get yourself out of the street and to a safe location.  If you are injured in any way, seek proper medical treatment immediately.  Then, if you are able to, follow the guidelines below.  If you are too injured, ask a witness, friend, family member, or bystander to help.

  • Don’t make any statements about fault to the driver, witnesses, or insurers.
  • Take pictures and video evidence of the accident scene, including any injuries or damaged property.  Get a picture of the vehicle’s license plate.
  • At the accident scene, photograph the condition of any crosswalks, signage, and pedestrian signal lights.
  • Get the names and contact information for any police officers or emergency medical personnel who were on the scene.
  • Find anyone who witnessed the accident and obtain their contact information.
  • Start a diary of your daily experiences after the accident: document any pain, lack of mobility, or work that you’re missing.
  • Document the value of any personal property damaged, like your phone or clothing, and keep copies of any treatments received from a medical provider.
  • Do not settle with an insurance adjuster without talking to a personal injury attorney first.  You may lose your rights to further compensation.

If I was Injured in a Pedestrian Accident, is the Driver always at fault?

Not necessarily.  In some cases, there may be more than one guilty party.  It’s common for both parties to act in a way that was not normal or cautious.   When this happens, jurors or an insurance adjuster will determine what percentage of fault each party is responsible for.  This will greatly affect the amount of any damages awarded. This is commonly referred to as “comparative negligence” and as long as one party is considered to be less than fifty percent responsible for the accident, then they will be entitled to receive compensation for damages.

I was Injured in a Pedestrian Accident, What Damages Might I be Entitled to?

  • Medical expenses
  • Damaged property
  • Lost Wages due to missing work
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of a normal lifestyle

While some of these figures can be calculated in a straightforward manner, the categories of “pain and suffering” and “loss of a normal lifestyle” are much more difficult to gauge.  For example, if you lose the use of a limb for any period of time, you may not be able to participate in the normal activities that you are used to.  How much should you be paid because you were unable to live your normal life?  How much should you be compensated for the pain and suffering you experienced as the result of someone else’s negligence?  These are questions best answered by a personal injury attorney in Lane County who will represent your interests.

When should I contact a Personal Injury Attorney in Eugene?

If you are feeling confused or overwhelmed by the process of: navigating details of your insurance policy; handling claims and negotiating with claims adjusters; or dealing with ongoing health care bills, then call Veralrud and Fowler today.  An experienced and skilled personal injury attorney will protect your rights and help you receive the full restitution you are entitled to.  Pedestrian car accident victims require a team of aggressive investigators and lawyers representing their interests.  Find out what some of our previous clients are saying about Veralrud and Fowler and then call today to make an appointment.

Related Links: Personal Injuries – Car Accident FAQs – Meet Our Attorneys

Give Us a Call at 541-345-3333 for a Free Consultation About Your Case or Send Us an Email Below

975 Oak Street, Suite 798

Eugene, OR 97401

Phone  (541) 345-3333
Fax  (541) 342-1908

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)


    Your Message

    Back To Top